ESSENTIAL ANDORRA

Do you know where Andorra is located, what language we speak here or what time zone we are in? Don't worry, let us introduce ourselves

SITUATION

Andorra is located in south-west Europe, in the heart of the Eastern Pyrenees. It lies between Spain and the autonomous community of Catalonia, and France, where it borders the Ariège region. 

AREA

Andorra covers 180 square miles, of which only 8% is built-up. The remaining 92% is forest land, making the country a paradise for nature lovers.

TERRITORIAL DIVISION

Andorra is organised into seven administrative and territorial divisions called "parishes": Canillo, Encamp, Ordino, La Massana, Andorra la Vella, Sant Julià de Lòria and Escaldes-Engordany.  The capital of the Principality is Andorra La Vella. 

TIME ZONE

Like Spain and France, we use Central European Time or CET (Greenwich Mean Time +1 hour). 

CLIMATE

We enjoy a high-mountain climate with influences from the Mediterranean, meaning a hot summer and cold winter with plentiful snow. The average minimum temperature is -2ºC, with an average maximum of 24ºC. Precipitation in the form of snow is frequent, with the highest rainfall between the months of May and October. 

LANGUAGE

Catalan is our official language, although the rich diversity of nationalities resident here means that other languages such as Spanish, French and Portuguese are also widely spoken. 

CURRENCY

The euro has replaced the Spanish peseta and the French franc, which were both used in the country until the European currency was introduced in 2001.

RELIGION

Catholicism is the main religion, with the greatest number of adherents, although the Andorran Constitution passed in 1993 guarantees religious freedom.

POLITICAL SYSTEM

Since the Middle Ages, Andorra is a parliamentary co-principality. We have two Heads of State, the Bishop of Urgell and the President of the French Republic, who represent the people jointly and equally. The Consell General is our parliament, with 28 members elected by universal suffrage every four years. 

RESIDENTS

The country has a population of 76.177 with an average age of 41 (figures from the 2018 census).

ECONOMY

Andorra's economy is mainly based on commerce and tourism, which account for 60% of the total. Financial services are the third pillar of Andorra's economy.

PREPARE YOUR GETAWAY… AND PACK YOUR BAGS!

Check the suggestions and services that most interest you and plan the perfect getaway.

WHERE TO STAY

Hotels, mountain refuges, apartments… A wide range of accommodation options are available to you.

HOW TO GET HERE

Find out the best way to get here, whether by car, train or plane…

PRACTICAL INFORMATION

Find out all the key information you need to prepare your trip. Travel with absolute peace of mind!

TRAVEL GUIDES

Still not sure what to do in Andorra? Download our travel guides and you won't miss a thing.