CHURCH OF SANT PERE MÀRTIR
Ort und Kontakt
Av. Carlemany, s/n
It has a bell tower with a 3-bell tower baptised Maria, Anna and Jacoba by Bishop Martí in 1981.
This is a church conceived by the architect Josep Danés as a building dedicated to wool-makers, given the importance of the textile sector in the parish. The Church of Sant Pere Màrtir is in Neo-romanesque style with a bell tower. It dates back to 1956 and is made with granite stone. It is believed that the main altarpiece was built with the collaboration of the Brotherhood of Wool Makers and Weavers. The exterior facade is decorated with ceramic and prints on the beatitudes, the work of the sculptor Sergi Mas, an Immaculate Conception by the sculptor Josep Viladomat. The same sculptor was responsible for the Mercy inside the temple.
Around the church you will also find a sculpture of a lace-maker or “puntaire”– another work of Josep Viladomat – and several examples of traditional Andorran architecture, like the La Tosca and Engordany bridges.
A little further up at avinguda Carlemany 30, we have the Escaldes-Engordany Art Centre, CAEE, with the Viladomat Museum (sculpture), the Romanesque Art Models Museum and the Exhibition Hall of the Commune of Escaldes-Engordany.
More information: Escaldes-Engordany Tourist Office. Free entrance.