The Church of Sant Esteve stands in the old quarter of Andorra la Vella alongside the parliament building.
It is Romanesque in origin (12th century) and was considerably modified in the 20th century. From Romanesque times we are given the semi-circular apse, the largest in the principality and which represented the Romanesque mural paintings now spread between the Catalonia National Art Museum and two private collections. The Marriage of Cana, the image of a winged bull and Christ before Pilate are some of the fragments of the pictorial complex preserved in the Catalonia National Art Museum.
Inside the temple there is a multi-coloured wooden beam from the same period and two baroque altarpieces. Of particular note too is the Painting of the Souls from the 18th century. Outside we can see the semi-circular apse preserving its original Lombardian decoration, and the bell tower and Romanesque tower. The restoration made in 1940 by the modernist architect Josep Puig and Cadafalch focused on remodelling the bell tower and the present side entrance.